Friday, November 09, 2007

The Inciting Incident

Those of you who know about the plot skeleton should know what I mean by "inciting incident." For the rest of y'all, here's a crash course in plotting with a skeleton:

Skull: Protagonist
Eyes: Two needs of the protagonist (1 obvious, 1 hidden)
Neck: Inciting incident (this is where I am! Yipee!)
Ribcage: Obstacles (must end with the bleakest moment)
Thighbone: Help for the protagonist
Kneecap: Crossroads (the protagonist makes a decision)
Legbone: Lesson or epiphany
Foot: The goal achieved

In other words, I still have a long way to go, but I think I'm doing pretty well--I got to the inciting incident neither too early nor too late.

Yesterday's writing and that of the day before (Wednesday and Thursday) were full of some of the best prose that I've ever written at such a quick pace. Even though both days were full and I had a bunch of other things going on, I somehow still found time to write and got some great stuff done. In fact, I think I just might edit some of yesterday's writing for typos and post it on here. Probably the funnest scene to write was when Sheila dropped the bomb on Trey--she told him that *gasp* she was a doctor! Ha! That was interesting. I think I'll post part of that one sometime.

Today, Trey's getting promoted, though he doesn't know it yet. Whenever I stop writing it's like pausing a movie--everybody freezes. My poor characters. Imagine living life like that, always getting frozen and un-frozen! It would get pretty irritating after a while.

Well, I should get to writing. I'm going to watch Saving Private Ryan tonight and I want to be in a good place with my word count. Farewell 'til I write again!

2 comments:

Shae said...

Wow, I never knew what a plot skeleton was before, nor have I seen any plots layed out like that. That's so interesting!

I got to the inciting moment just the other day also. I'm looking forward to reading an excerpt of your NaNo if you post it. =D

'Saving Private Ryan' is a great movie. Keep up the great work, Eowyn! =)

Mercy Burklin said...

Oo, plot skeleton. Sounds pretty good so far.
Yay! I would most certainly read an excerpt if you posted one. I am really into reading historical fiction, and yours sounds like it would fit my tastes, so to speak. That last sentence didn't make any sense...
Well, I will keep rooting you on! Have a wonderful day :)