Saturday, November 17, 2007

Day 17: Getting Ever Closer

So I finally rounded the corner of 40,000 words today. I was supposed to hit that yesterday, though (my goal is 75k--though the book will probably be anywhere from 100k to 120k). I'm really not that worried. I had grand plans for 5k today, but since I didn't go to Honkerbean's, I was continuously being interrupted. Also, I'm of the mind that writing THAT fast is not good for this story. Some parts can be written fairly quickly, but they're generally followed by parts that take more time, and none of those parts lasts 5k (that would be a LONG scene!).

For the rest of the month, I'm going to try and chill a bit. I'm getting too uptight. I'm trying to write a book, not kill myself!

The story is going pretty well. I keep thinking as I write, "This needs research so bad," but I think I'll find that a lot of it isn't too inaccurate. The biggest thing is the medical supplies/machines that were used in the hospitals. I know where I can find info on all that stuff, I just don't want to mess with it rigth now. Worrying about it just slows down my writing. At least I know the basics.

We learned about Aaron today. Well, Trey did, at least. It was one of those take-a-long-time scenes. Sheila didn't cry, but I almost did. *sniff, sniff* And guess what I found out--her dad is a pastor! Wow, I didn't see that one coming. Hmm . . .

The weakest part of the story right now is the Emma/Franz thread. I just don't know what to do with that mess. It would take too much thought, and my brain is fried. That's going to be the challenge for revision. It's vital to the plot, but I'm having trouble incorporating it. Maybe a new inspiration will strike sometime this week . . .

At any rate, I like the way everything else is progressing. Trey and Sheila are on their way to Naples for an R&R leave (rest and recuperation). I'm really excited about the next few scenes. Woohoo!

No comments: