Monday, November 12, 2007

A Blaring 0

I never planned for there to be a 0 day this month, but it hit today. I'm not really that disappointed, though. I needed the break for sanity's sake, along with the fact that I really needed to gather up my ideas and plans for the last few scenes of Part 1. It's hard to believe that so soon my characters will be out of Sicily! On to the Italian mainland, says I.

I only wrote about 1.6k yesterday, which was disappointing at the least. I feel like I wrote some good stuff, though. I didn't think so yesterday, but when I read over it today, it seemed pretty solid to me. Sheila now knows--thanks to Ed--how Martha (Trey's wife) and Cole (his son) died. *sniffs* I almost cried. So sad!

A wonderfully horrible thought occurred to me just a couple days ago--one that, if it happens somewhere between the 1/2 and 2/3 mark, will bring out Sheila's backstory. Since people who are reading this blog may someday read my novel, I don't want to spoil anything, but it involves the *sob* death of a character whom I didn't meet until just last week and whom I was really starting to like. Ah well . . . it's for the good of the story.

One interesting development that has come up through the writing process is finding out that Emma is not really a spy. It's just much more believable that way. Of course, Franz still can--and will--use her to wreak havoc, but she's not a spy. She's mostly just a very lonely person who is very, very homesick. Poor girl.

Well, I think I might try to get some research done tonight. That, or I might start working on my writing which I am so terribly behind on! I still have about three scenes to go 'til Sicily is out of the picture. That's probably around . . . hmm . . . maybe 7k. Yikes! Maybe I can somehow split that up between tomorrow and Wednesday. . . .

1 comment:

Mercy Burklin said...

Aw, *hugs Eowyn* Sorry about the '0' day :( I know how it can be disappointing. I hope there are no more days like that for you ;)
Isn't bringing out character's history and motives so much fun? I am enjoying exploring my character's minds and revealing things about their histories. Sounds like you have got some really good stuff going.

Once more, best of luck for your novel!