Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Enter Franz

I got to introduce Franz today. Let me tell you, this guy is creepy. And I mean creepy. It's not like he comes across as being purely evil--that's just the thing. He's so complex--one moment you're seeing his good side, patting an orphaned waif on the shoulder with with what appears to be true affection, and then he's taking delight in a gruesome execution. It scared me. When I was writing up a profile for him a couple weeks ago, I saw some of this utter creepiness, but it didn't really get to me until today. *shudders*

I'm really quite happy with how he's turned out, though, because he's the perfect foil for Trey. While Franz's duty is ultimately to destroy lives, Trey's is to heal and restore. That seems pretty powerful to me, and the comparison just sort of came about on its own. Creativity is so unpredictable. It doesn't allow itself to be forced, only guided, and then half the time it ends up guiding you. That's just the magic of it all.

I learned some more about Trey today. I'd been sort of waffling on his spiritual status--I was pretty sure that he was a Christian, though he's struggled with his faith ever since Martha and Cole died. Today, though, that was affirmed. He hasn't stopped believing, but he's grieved and a little confused. Why would God allow his wife and son to die? It's the classic question, and when a wounded lieutenant asks Trey why God protected him while his friends died in battle, I heartily agree with Trey's response: "It's a hard thing to ponder. But I've learned that there's never an answer. Those things are hidden from us. The only thing we can do is trust that God knows what He's doing." Yes, Trey knows what he believes. He just hasn't learned to let go and move on.

Well, I think I'd better get to bed now, but here are today's closing stats: I got to 15k today, after compensating a few extra hundred words that should have been written yesterday. Oh well. Yesterday was a hard day--surgery with Trey was a long, tedious task, but we got through it. Tomorrow will be a more interesting day yet. If I have time to write, then I'll get to the inciting incident that I've been working toward.

Plod ever onward, Wrimos!

3 comments:

Mercy Burklin said...

Wow, this new character sounds fascinating! For me, having really complex, even if creepy, characters is really one thing that draws me into the story. I love the sound of Trey! I love his response as well, I agree.
Wow, you NaNo still sounds awesome to me. Keep up the awesome work, Eowyn! =D

Eowyn_of_Rohan said...

Yes, I love Trey. :wub: What he said sounds a mite cliche, but I guess I can work on that later. :oops: At least I learned more about him.

Thanks, Telpe! The story's definitely picking up now. Yesterday I wrote-- Well, I'll save that update for later. There's much to be said. ;)

Shae said...

Heh, your Franz definetly sounds creepy. They're fun to write, aren't they? =P

You story sounds so cool. Keep going strong!