Friday, October 19, 2007

Just Two More Weeks . . .

Well, I'm trying to get the idea into my head that I only have two more weeks until NaNo begins. Yikes! I'm still in the midst of getting the plot figured out, and though I feel really confident about the whole thing right now, I hope I'll feel that way on November 1.

After all . . . what am I thinking?! I decided to do historical fiction this year because I wanted to write something that I could actually publish one day. Contemporary fiction was okay last year, but it ended up being blah, and I don't have any good contemporary ideas right now. I thought about fantasy, too, but I really don't want to publish a fantasy novel. I just don't think I have the right kind of an imagination for fantasy. I do better to keep myself in the real world.

That said, I'm still waiting on books from the library that will supplement my research. I have--I think--all the info I need on what was going on at the time of the story, but I don't have the little details that would pertain to what my characters are doing at that point. Also, I still need to develop the antagonist. Franz hasn't told me too much about himself yet, except that he's a radical. From my own observations, he's a little "tetched" in the head. But he's still smart . . . eerily so.

The major complications to the plot are worked out, along with the stakes--personal and public--so I'm not too worried about that. I'll likely get more ideas when I'm writing it, but that's to be expected. I'm not one to stifle creativity, though I'm huge stickler for outlines. And I still have yet to do index card stuff. In fact, I think I'll leave that for the last.

I'm so excited I can hardly wait, but I hope these two weeks go by slowly for the sake of a well-developed novel.

Oh! And I almost forgot. Soon I'll post a little synopsis so y'all can know what my story is about. I need to get the majority of it worked out first, though.

2 comments:

Mercy Burklin said...

Yay for you doing NaNo! It just would not be the same without you, Eowyn.

Wow, kudos to you for attempting historical fiction! I could never do that properly. I congratulate you for doing all that research. Yikes, I do not have that kind of patience.

Here is to a month of fun writing! Good luck =D

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.